Saturday, April 28, 2007

To have a green thumb, or not to . . .

That is the question!!!
I have decided once again to try growing a vegetable garden. I think I found an OK spot in our backyard. SO, this week Jacob and I, well, mainly me, got to work. The remnants of the oleander had been dug out by someone else, I was thankful I didn't have to tackle those roots! Anyway, after moving the rock and somewhat prepping the soil, we were ready to plant. Jacob didn't quite grasp this concept. He mostly enjoyed playing in the dirt and was oblivious to the plants - in fact sitting on one at one point. I'm sorry I don't have any photos of him helping (I can hear the groans of disappointment!) After everything was said and done I realized that I needed to keep Jacob and the dog out - the first little fence (not pictured) did not do the trick. So I made one myself and it seems to do just fine. Here are some pictures of the before and after. Hopefully in a few months I will have some vegetable bearing pictures to show you.



Before



My garden!



The Pink Bower vine



Tomatoes, strawberries, peppers, cucumber, cantaloupe and watermelon



Little cantaloupe



First little pepper



The very sad strawberry plant that was stepped on by the dog - I'm hoping it will bounce back!

No comments: